Investigation Underway in New Hampshire After Fatal Shooting at Psychiatric Hospital

State police and an FBI bomb technician stand at a staging area in the parking lot of New Hampshire Hospital.

Authorities in New Hampshire are conducting an investigation into a tragic incident at a psychiatric hospital that resulted in the death of a security guard and the subsequent fatal shooting of the assailant by a state police trooper. The motive behind the attacker’s actions remains a subject of inquiry.

New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella revealed that on Friday afternoon, 33-year-old John Madore entered New Hampshire Hospital and fatally shot Bradley Haas, a security officer employed by the state Department of Safety, who was stationed at the front lobby entrance of the facility.

According to Michael Garrity, a spokesperson for the attorney general’s office, the investigation into the shooting is currently active and ongoing. Autopsies conducted on both Haas and Madore confirmed that the cause of death for both individuals was multiple gunshot wounds.

Madore had previously faced assault charges in 2016, although these charges were later dismissed, as indicated by a court summary of the case. The summary does not provide additional details but notes that a judge had ordered Madore to be transported from New Hampshire Hospital for a court hearing.

At the time of the shooting, Madore was residing in a hotel in the Seacoast region and had also lived in Concord, according to Formella. Madore was armed with a 9mm pistol and had additional ammunition when he shot Haas, who was unarmed.

Authorities discovered an AR-style rifle, a tactical vest, and multiple ammunition magazines inside a U-Haul truck parked in the hospital’s parking lot. An investigation is ongoing to establish any connections between the truck and Madore.

The shooting occurred around 3:30 p.m. and was confined to the facility’s front lobby, which houses 185 patient beds. Despite the efforts of medical personnel who administered CPR, Haas succumbed to his injuries at Concord Hospital.

On the day of the shooting, the hospital had 152 patient beds occupied, according to a daily patient census report by the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services. It’s worth noting that this facility is the sole state-run psychiatric hospital for adults in New Hampshire.

Authorities are striving to gain a comprehensive understanding of the assailant’s background, motives, and the events leading up to the incident. Formella emphasized that the Haas family has requested privacy during this difficult time.

Bradley Haas, the victim of the shooting, resided in Franklin, a small city approximately 20 miles from Concord. He had served as a police officer for 28 years, ultimately ascending to the position of police chief, as confirmed by the attorney general’s office.

This tragic incident is the latest in a series of violent acts that have taken place in U.S. hospitals. Medical institutions nationwide have been grappling with increased security threats, making healthcare one of the most dangerous sectors in terms of violence.

The incident occurred shortly after a mass shooting in neighboring Maine, where 18 people lost their lives, and 13 others were injured.

New Hampshire House Democratic Leader Matt Wilhelm expressed condolences for the loss of Bradley Haas, offering support to his colleagues, staff, and volunteers at the hospital as they confront this tragedy while continuing to provide essential care for mental health patients in the state.

Author: CrimeDoor

Leave a Reply

Share on:

[mailpoet_form id="1"]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter