Geeta and Sanjay Chopra

Children Found Dead in Cow Field

Crime Types: Murdered, Abducted,

Tag: Murdered

A cowherd, tending his cows on the Delhi Ridge in India, came across two bodies on Aug. 28, 1978. It was soon confirmed the bodies belonged to 16-year-old Geeta Chopra and her 14-year-old brother, Sanjay. The pair had been missing since Aug. 26 when they failed to arrive at the All India Radio network building where they planned on taking part in the “Yuva Vani” radio show. At 8 p.m. the children’s parents tuned into the radio program only to find Geeta was not participating. Their father, Madan Mohan Chopra, rode his scooter to the station to look for his children but could not find them. At 10:15 p.m. Madan reported his children missing.

The Chopra children left their house at 6:15 p.m. the day they disappeared. A man named M.S. Nanda gave them a ride to Gole Dak Khana. Fifteen minutes later, a man passing on a scooter heard noises coming from a mustard colored Fiat. When he looked inside the car, he saw the Chopra children fighting with the driver. The man was unable to stop the car, which drove off toward Willingdon Hospital. Other passersby attempted to stop the car but were unable to. At 6:45 p.m. one of them phoned the police to let them know the children inside the car needed help. A man named Inderjeet Singh saw the car near Willingdon Hospital and noted the boy in the car was bleeding from the shoulder and calling for help. He tried to follow the car but lost it at a traffic light. This was the last report of anyone seeing the children alive.

The Chopra’s bodies were too decomposed to tell if they’d been sexually assaulted. However, there were noticeable stab wounds on Sanjay and Geeta’s jaw was broken. Investigators in the case soon found the car which had been used to kidnap the children. Inside they found fingerprints as well as some DNA evidence. On Sept. 8 two men, Kuljeet Singh, also known as Ranga Khus, and Jasbir Singh, who was known as Billa, were arrested on a train. Inside the bag they were carrying were bloodstained clothes. Both men soon confessed, but then recanted their confessions. They pleaded not guilty at their trial, but were convicted of the murders and sentenced to death. They were hanged in 1982.

This article states the bodies were found in the Deli Central Ridge cow field