Long Island Man Arraigned for Sex Crimes, Barricade Incident

Long Island Man Arraigned for Sex Crimes, Barricade Incident

In Woodbury, Long Island, a man was arraigned in a hospital bed on Wednesday following a series of events that began with him allegedly committing sex crimes against a 14-year-old girl. Adrees Omar, 25, was charged with rape, obstructing breathing, and unlawful imprisonment after a day-long standoff with police at his residence.

The incident unfolded on Tuesday morning when town inspectors arrived at Omar’s house at 26 Roseanne Drive with a violation notice. A 14-year-old girl, reportedly naked and in distress, ran out of the property, alerting nearby Nassau Police officers who were responding to an unrelated burglar alarm. Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder reported that the girl identified Omar as the individual chasing her, prompting a pursuit that ended with Omar barricading himself inside his home for over eight hours.

Neighbors of the residence have expressed long-standing concerns about the property, citing years of complaints and suspected squatting. The condition of the house and fence has been a point of contention in the community.

During his arraignment, Omar, handcuffed to a gurney and with eyes closed, faced allegations of an ongoing sexual relationship with the victim, who was then 13 years old. Prosecutors claimed that on Tuesday, Omar choked, restrained, and cut the girl. He was also previously accused of assaulting his father.

The case has prompted concerns among neighbors, with one reporting that at least three women in recent years have fled the property in terror. Doorbell video footage shared by a resident showed a distraught woman seeking help during the night, unable to find shelter as neighbors did not open their doors.

Omar’s attorney entered a plea of not guilty on his behalf, noting the need to speak with Omar when he is no longer sedated. Nassau Police have declared the investigation ongoing and are encouraging other potential victims to come forward.

In response to the incident, the judge issued an order for Omar to stay away from the teenage victim and his father. Additionally, Omar faces charges for injuring police officers during the standoff. The Town of Oyster Bay subsequently closed the house due to alleged building violations, preventing reoccupation.

Chris Morris
Author: Chris Morris

Leave a Reply

Share on:

[mailpoet_form id="1"]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter