Father Charged After 3-Year-Old Fatally Shoots Himself with Unattended Handgun

A tragic incident unfolded in Allentown, Pennsylvania, as a 3-year-old boy lost his life after accidentally shooting himself with a loaded handgun left unattended under a couch. Jose Hilario Abreu, 28, the father of the child, has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in connection with the incident. The unfortunate event occurred on March 28, and Abreu was arraigned on Friday.

According to Lehigh County prosecutors, Abreu allegedly left a semi-automatic handgun, with a live cartridge in the chamber, under the sofa where his son and a 2-year-old child were seated. After Abreu left the room, a loud bang was heard, prompting him to return and discover his son with a gunshot wound to the chest. The gun, which was unholstered, was found resting on a pillow on the couch where both toddlers were sitting.

Emergency services were called to the scene by Elijah’s mother, and the young boy was swiftly transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital Cedar Crest. Tragically, despite their efforts, Elijah could not be saved, and his death was ruled accidental.

During the investigation, authorities found Abreu’s handgun on top of a pillow on the sofa, pointing towards Elijah. Gunshot residue was also detected on the toddler’s hands, further supporting the accidental nature of the incident.

Following his arraignment, Abreu was ordered to be held in jail on a $250,000 bond. The tragic death of Elijah Abreu Borgen has sparked discussions about responsible gun ownership and the need for parents to ensure the safe storage of firearms.

Representative Josh Siegel (D-Allentown) expressed his belief that Elijah’s death could have been prevented, emphasizing the importance of being a responsible gun owner and storing firearms securely for the sake of one’s family.

Author: CrimeDoor

1 Response

  1. This incident reminds me of a similar case that happened in my neighborhood a few years ago. A family had recently moved into a new house and were still in the process of unpacking. Unfortunately, they had temporarily placed their loaded handgun on a high shelf in their bedroom closet, thinking it was out of reach of their curious 4-year-old son.

    One afternoon, while the parents were busy in another room, the young boy managed to climb up onto a chair and reach the loaded handgun. Trag

Leave a Reply

Share on:

[mailpoet_form id="1"]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter