5 True Crimes that Happened During Christmas Holidays

As Christmas moments are traditionally filled with the joys of family gatherings, gift exchanges, and cheerful festivities, it’s disturbing to reconcile this picture with the grim reality of high-profile crimes committed during this beloved season. 

CrimeDoor has examined five of the most harrowing and well-known true crime cases associated with the holiday season. As we explore these cases, we remember the victims and their families, and the heartbreaking losses they’ve suffered during what should be a joy-filled season. And, for our readers, we hope these stories serve as reminders of both the complexities of human nature and the enduring importance of cherishing those dear to us. 


The JonBenét Ramsey Case: A Christmas Tragedy

On the morning of December 26, 1996, a joy-filled Christmas abruptly transformed into a nightmare for the Ramsey family of Boulder, Colorado, as they discovered their six-year-old daughter, JonBenét, brutally murdered in their own home.

The Evening Before: The Ramsey Family Christmas

The Ramsey family, firmly established in the social fabric of Boulder, Colorado, was gearing up for a Christmas filled with joy and celebration. John Bennett Ramsey and his wife, Patricia “Patsy” Ramsey’s abode bustled with the festive fervor of jingle bells and flashing lights, their children Burke and JonBenét adding to the holiday cheer. The family’s annual plans of spending a season of love, laughter, and sharing, bore no inkling of the looming tragedy that would shock the nation.

Details and Timeline

Image Source

The grim events of Christmas night, 1996, unfolded in a haunting sequence. Here is the detailed timeline of that fateful holiday:

  • Christmas Eve: The Ramsey family spent a joyful day full of festivities, looking forward to Christmas.
  • Late Christmas Evening: Six-year-old beauty queen JonBenét was tucked into bed, her head filled with holiday dreams.
  • Early Hours of December 26: Patsy Ramsey woke up to find a ransom note, sent pointedly to her husband John Ramsey, demanding precisely $118,000 for the return of JonBenet.
  • 5:52 AM, December 26: Patsy Ramsey phoned the police to report her daughter’s kidnapping.
  • 1:00 PM, December 26: An instructed ransom exchange failed to materialize. The Ramseys and a family friend initiated a search within the house.
  • 1:05 PM, December 26: In the basement of their home, John Ramsey and the family friend made a horrifying discovery: the lifeless body of JonBenét, who had been strangled and bludgeoned.

Following the shocking discovery, Boulder law enforcement arrived at the Ramsey residence. The crime scene posed alarming questions — disturbing evidence of a violent struggle, a garrote composed of a length of cord, and the broken handle of a paintbrush, complemented by an inexplicable lack of forced entry. JonBenét’s official cause of death released by the Boulder police department was “asphyxia by strangulation associated with craniocerebral trauma”, and the brutal nature of the crime added a harrowing note to an already somber narrative. The town of Boulder, and indeed the entire nation, reeled from the distressing news of such a brutal crime committed against a young child during the festive season.

Investigation and Outcome

Image Source

Over time, the case would see many suspects arise and be ruled out, including a local registered sex offender, the Ramsey’s housekeeper, even a local journalist. The primary focus of the investigation, however, continually returned to the immediate Ramsey family. The lack of a clear point of entry for an intruder and the peculiar ransom note, written using materials from the Ramsey’s own house, led the police to suspect the parents and even JonBenét’s older brother, Burke. The Ramseys always staunchly maintained their innocence and insisted an intruder was responsible for JonBenét’s death.

During the early stages, experts critiqued the Boulder Police Department’s handling of the crime scene and initial investigation. The crime scene was not cordoned off effectively, possibly leading to contamination of evidence.

In 1999, a grand jury decided to indict the parents on charges of child abuse resulting in death and being an accessory to a crime, including murder. However, the district attorney decided there was insufficient evidence, and the indictment was never carried out.

Latest Update

In 2003, new DNA testing methods were applied to pieces of evidence from the crime scene leading to a significant breakthrough. The results revealed the presence of an unknown male’s DNA on JonBenét’s clothing, providing solid support for the theory that a third party, an intruder, was involved in the murder.

Despite the DNA revelation, the case remained unsolved. The media scrutiny and public opinion have often cast a shadow over the investigation, making it a topic of numerous documentaries, movies, and books.

Patsy Ramsey passed away in 2006 from ovarian cancer, never knowing who killed her daughter. 10 years later, in 2016, Burke Ramsey, JonBenét’s older brother, broke his silence in a TV interview, maintaining the family’s innocence and seeking to shift the public narrative.

Today, over two decades since the tragic event, the murder of JonBenét Ramsey remains one of the most notorious unsolved cases in the history of American crime. The Boulder Police Department asserts that the case is still open and under investigation, and until it’s solved, it continues to be a haunting reminder of a justice unfulfilled.

The Covina Massacre: A Bloody Christmas Eve

Image Source

In Covina, California, on December 24, 2008, Bruce Jeffrey Pardo, dressed as Santa Claus, unleashed terror at a festive gathering by murdering nine people and setting the house ablaze, turning holiday cheer into a gruesome nightmare.

Bruce Pardo’s Downward Spiral

Bruce Jeffrey Pardo appeared to lead a reasonably normal life, previously employed as an electrical engineer. However, beneath the veneer of calm, he experienced personal turmoil that led to his rapid decline. Pardo’s marriage to Sylvia Orza, which bore similarities to his first union, went downhill as the couple’s differences initiated a toxic spiral. Although they were separated, a bitter divorce finalized on December 18, 2008, adding to Pardo’s already troubled life.

Detailed Timeline

The Covina Massacre pierced the peaceful veil of a Christmas Eve celebration in Covina, California in 2008. The timeline of this unnerving event and its subsequent aftermath is as follows:

  • Prior to the Event: In the weeks leading up to Christmas Eve, Bruce Pardo meticulously assembled an arsenal containing four handguns and a homemade flamethrower. A blueprint of violence was in the making unbeknownst to those around him.
  • December 24, 2008: Dressed as Santa Claus, Pardo showed up at his former in-laws’ (the Orza family) residence around 11:30 p.m., concealing his malicious intent behind the merry disguise. The holiday gathering was none the wiser.
  • The Massacre: The venue quickly turned into a crime scene as Pardo began shooting indiscriminately at those present. The night of festive joviality turned into a blood-soaked horror with nine people fatally shot. Not done with his rampage, Pardo deployed his homemade flamethrower, setting the house on fire.
  • Post-Massacre: Suffering from severe burns incurred by his own flamethrower, Pardo fled the tumultuous scene. His plans had not accounted for self-inflicted injury, leading to a frantic and panicked escape.

Image Source

Pardo had planned for an escape to Canada, but his burns made the journey impossible. He was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his brother’s house, leaving behind more questions than answers. The Covina community was left to mourn and rebuild, forever scarred by the terror of that Christmas Eve.

Investigation and Aftermath

In the immediate aftermath of the crime, local law enforcement worked diligently to assemble a clear picture. The horrendous event that unfolded at the Orza family home left grim evidence that was hard to misinterpret.

Gleaned from local and national news reports, evidence such as the Santa costume Pardo wore, the disposed handguns, and the unusual homemade flamethrower, suggested a premeditated act of violence.

Additionally, survivors, though traumatized, provided eyewitness accounts of the fatal shooting spree committed by Pardo, which matched details uncovered by forensic analysis at the crime scene.

As the news broke out of the involvement of Bruce Pardo, a former son-in-law to the family, the narrative of a troubling family feud leading to massacre started to take shape.

However, the pursuit of justice was abruptly ended. Pardo, who was severely burnt in his rampage, reportedly took his life. His body was found at his brother’s house hours later with a gunshot wound, according to official reports.

The Laci Peterson Case: A Christmas Season Disappearance

Image Source

In December 2002, in Modesto, California, Laci Peterson, an eight-month pregnant woman, mysteriously disappeared under suspicious circumstances, leading to a nationwide search and a murder investigation implicating her husband, Scott Peterson.

Background on Laci’s Pregnancy and the Christmas Celebrations

Late 2002 was a time of celebratory anticipation for Laci Peterson and her husband, Scott Peterson. Eight months into her pregnancy, Laci was eagerly preparing for the arrival of their first child, a son to be named Conner. The couple’s Christmas celebrations were shadowed by joyous expectations of the new addition to their family.

However, while the Peterson home was adorned with festive Christmas decorations, the season’s cheer was soon to be clouded by impending darkness. And what began as a period of jovial anticipation would quickly turn into an enduring enigma that captivated the entire nation.

Laci Peterson’s Disappearance – The Timeline of Christmas Eve 

On Christmas Eve 2002, Laci Peterson was reported missing. According to Scott Peterson, he last saw his wife around 10 a.m., when he left their Modesto, California home to go fishing. Laci, he said, was heading out to walk their dog and run errands. When Scott returned home that evening, he found the house empty.

Although many began a frantic search for the pregnant 27-year-old throughout the neighborhood that night, Laci was nowhere to be found. This marked the starting point of one of the most notorious tasks for local law enforcement – finding Laci Peterson.

The Investigation and Scott Peterson’s Trial

Image Source

The investigation into Laci Peterson’s disappearance turned high profile as news outlets nationwide reported on the unfolding events. Scott Peterson, once a worried husband, quickly metamorphosed into a prime suspect.

Investigations revealed that Scott had been having an affair with massage therapist Amber Frey. Scott’s inconsistent accounts of his activities on Christmas Eve and subsequent behavior, such as selling Laci’s car and considering selling their house, added fuel to the mounting suspicion against him.

On April 13, 2003, the decomposed bodies of a woman and a fetus washed up on the shores of San Francisco Bay, near where Scott had claimed to go fishing. DNA tests confirmed the bodies as Laci and her unborn son, Conner.

In November 2004, Scott Peterson was convicted of first-degree murder for Laci’s death and second-degree murder for Conner’s death. The trial, broadcast extensively, attracted public obsession and widespread media coverage. Scott was sentenced to death and is currently on death row.

An Ongoing Mourning 

The Laci Peterson case irreversibly marred the holiday season for the Peterson family and the wider community. What should have been a joyful time of Christmas celebrations and anticipating the birth of a child was instead filled with endless searching, mourning, and a high-profile murder trial. Laci’s mother says each Christmas is a reminder of her family’s tragic loss

The 2007 Carnation Murders

Image Source

On Christmas Eve 2007, in the rural town of Carnation, Washington, a horrific massacre took place, where Michele Anderson and her boyfriend, Joseph McEnroe, shockingly murdered three generations of her own family, intertwining a grim tragedy with the holiday season.

Anderson Family’s Last Christmas 

December 2007 was looking to be a season of peace, joy, and celebration for Wayne and Judy Anderson and their family in the small rural town of Carnation, Washington. Like every other family, they had plans to gather on Christmas Eve and celebrate the holiday season. This year was no different as they prepared for their daughter Michele Anderson and her boyfriend Joseph McEnroe to join them for Christmas day. Unfortunately, these simple, joyous plans would remain forever unfulfilled.

Timeline and Details

  • December 24, 2007 Morning: The Anderson family starts their Christmas celebrations with Michele Anderson and her boyfriend, Joseph McEnroe, planning to join later in the day.
  • Christmas Eve Afternoon: Michele Anderson and Joseph McEnroe arrive at the Anderson family home.
  • December 24, 2007, Mid-Afternoon: Michele Anderson and Joseph McEnroe brutally murder Wayne and Judy Anderson at their home.
  • Christmas Eve Late Afternoon: Scott Anderson, his wife Erica, and their two children Olivia and Nathan arrive at the Anderson home to celebrate Christmas. Unaware of the horrifying circumstance they were about to walk into, they are also killed.
  • Late Christmas Eve: Michele Anderson and Joseph McEnroe attempt to disguise the crime scene to indicate a robbery gone wrong. The bodies of the victims are moved, and murder weapons are cleaned.

The day, which started as a joyful family celebration of Christmas Eve, tragically turned into a horrifying massacre that wiped out three generations of the Anderson family.

The Investigation and Trial

Image Source

The crime scene was discovered on December 26th when a co-worker stopped by the Andersons’ house after Judy failed to show up at work. Law enforcement was called, and a homicide investigation was swiftly initiated. Michele and Joseph were arrested on December 28th, admitting to the killings after being questioned by authorities.

The motive behind the murders, as revealed during the investigation, centered on Michele Anderson’s belief that she had been mistreated by her family and owed money. This sense of betrayal led her to plan and execute the horrific crime with McEnroe.

In 2014, McEnroe’s trial began with prosecutors seeking the death penalty. McEnroe was found guilty on all counts in 2015 and was sentenced to six life terms without the possibility of parole. Michele Anderson’s trial started in 2016, where she was also found guilty and received the same sentence as McEnroe.

The convictions and sentences brought a legal resolution to the case, but the tragedy left indelible scars on the victims’ families and the Carnation community.

The Lawson Family Murder

Image Source

On Christmas Day in 1929, the small, tight-knit community of Germanton, North Carolina, was shaken to its core. Charlie Lawson, a seemingly ordinary family man, brutally murdered his wife and six of their seven children, turning a festive family gathering into a horrifying crime scene.

A Christmas Portrait 

The Lawson family, residing in the small community of Germanton, North Carolina, was known to celebrate Christmas with much enthusiasm. Family patriarch Charlie Lawson, his wife Fanny, and their seven children would gather together on Christmas day to enjoy a festive meal, exchange gifts, and participate in jovial activities.

Timeline and Details

  • December 25, Morning: The Lawson family began their Christmas Day preparations. Arthur, the eldest son, was sent on an errand to buy more shotgun shells, a seemingly innocuous task that would spare him from the impending tragedy.
  • Late Morning: Disaster struck as Charlie Lawson inexplicably turned on his family. One by one, he systematically murdered his wife and six of their children.
  • Christmas Day Afternoon: Gunshots echoed through the quiet community, raising alarm among the neighbors. As they ventured to the Lawson residence, they were met with a gut-wrenching scene.
  • Mid-Afternoon: Arthur, who had been away on the errand, returned home to find his family slaughtered and his father missing.
  • Late Afternoon: Charlie Lawson, after carrying out the horrific murders, committed suicide in the nearby woods.

Image Source

The Investigation

As law enforcement quickly assembled to investigate the heinous crime, they were left to make sense of the tragedy that unfolded. While the motive behind Charlie Lawson’s actions remains elusive, they uncovered evidence of suspected abuse and significant financial strain in the household. As a result, theories regarding the crime have ranged from premeditated murder to a snap decision driven by familial stress or mental instability. Despite exhaustive efforts, the case remains an unsolved mystery, leaving those affected to speculate on the true motives behind the gruesome scene.

Final Thoughts

As we complete our look at five true crimes that occurred during the holiday season, we’re reminded of the stark contrast these events pose against the backdrop of a season typically associated with joy and goodwill. Let us also hold our loved ones a little tighter and bear a thought for those for whom the season carries echoes of grief.

Leave a Reply

Share on:

[mailpoet_form id="1"]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter